Monday, June 07, 2004

Godspeed

"And come January, when I saddle up and ride into the sunset it will be with the knowledge that we've done great things. We kept faith with a promise as old as this land we love and as big as the sky. A brilliant vision of America as a shining city on a hill. Thanks to all of you, and with Gods help, America's greatest chapter is still to be written, for the best is yet to come."

...

"I've spoken of the shining city all of my political life, but I don't know If I ever communicated what I saw when I said it. But in my mind it was a tall, proud city built on rocks stronger than oceans, windswept, God-blessed, and teeming with people of all kinds living in harmony and peace: a city with free ports that hummed with commerce and creativity. And if there had to be city walls, the walls had doors and the doors were open to anyone with the will and heart to get there. That's how I saw it, and see it still."

Ronald Wilson Reagan